Cass County Public Library hosts book clubs at most locations. Below is a list of our book clubs, what they read, and what times they meet, organized by branch.
The Wolfner Library offers call-in book clubs for those who are blind, visually impaired, have a reading disability, or have a physical disability that limits them from using standard print materials.
For more information, call 1-800-392-2614 or visit https://www.sos.mo.gov/wolfner/programming/bookclubs.
DrexelBook Club (Virtual):
Come join us for good discussion (currently virtually) on the first Monday of every month at 1pm. This book club reads a variety of fiction and non-fiction books.
If you do not have a device to run Zoom, contact the branch for call-in details: 816-728-1010.
- June 7 – Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
- July 12 – The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy by Jeanne Birdsall
- August 2 – Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult
Garden CityAdult Book Group:
This group meets, socially distanced, at Garden City United Methodist Church on the last Wednesday of every month at 4pm, unless noted.
- June 30 – The Book of Lost Names by Kristin Harmel
- July 28 – Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
- August 25 – The Book of Lost Friends by Lisa Wingate
HarrisonvilleNo Events No Events General Book Club (Virtual):
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville branch. The General Book Club meets virtually on the second Monday at 1pm. This club reads widely in both fiction and nonfiction genres.
If you do not have a device to run Zoom, contact the branch for call-in details: 816-884-3483.
- June 14 – When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
- July 12 – Eight Perfect Murders by Peter Swanson
- August 9 – The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larson
The perfect club for the busy reader. Books chosen by club members. Discussions held online on Facebook at 1pm on the dates below.
- June 25 – The Inheritance Games by Jennifer Barnes
- July 23 – My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand
- August 20 – One by One by Ruth Ware
Northern Resource CenterConnecting Point Book Club:
An inspirational fiction book club open to anyone who enjoys reading and good conversation. The group meets in-person on the second Thursday of the month at 1 pm at Belton Memorial Park. In the case of inclement weather, the meeting will be moved to Zoom.
- June 10 – How the Light Gets In by Jolina Petersheim
- July 8 – Out of Embers by Amanda Cabot
- August 12 – Gathering Shadows by Nancy Mehl
Murder Among Friends is a book club for adults, open to anyone who enjoys mysteries and good conversation. The group meets in-person on the 3rd Tuesday of every month at 1 pm at Belton Memorial Park.
- June 15 – The Deep End by Julie Mulhern
- July 20 – The Lost Man by Jane Harper
- August 17 – The Innocence of Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton
A classics-focused book club that generally reads books more than 50 years old from all around the world. The group meets in-person the 3rd Thursday of every month at 3 pm. The location is TBD.
- June 17 – The Chosen by Chaim Potok
- July 15 – TBA
- August 19 – TBA
A general-interest book club that reads literary fiction and non-fiction. We meet in-person the 3rd Thursday of each month at 4 pm. The location is TBD.
- June 17 – Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
- July 15 – Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell
- August 19 – The Godfather by Mario Puzo
This is a general-interest book club that reads popular fiction, and literary fiction with an occasional non-fiction title thrown in for fun. We meet in-person the last Wednesday of each month at 1pm unless noted.
- June 30 – Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
- July 28 – The Last Year of the War by Susan Meissner
- August 25 – To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Pleasant Hill1st Monday Evening Readers:
This group is for adults who enjoy reading and discussing different aspects of literature. We read and discuss various genres and subject matter including fiction and non-fiction. Most discussions will last approximately an hour. We will meet at 5:30pm at the Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church.
- June 7th – The Peculiar Miracles of Antoinette Martin by Stephanie Knipper
- July 12th – For Such a Time as This by Ginny Aiken
- August 2nd – The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown
This group is a variety of adults who enjoy reading and discussing books of various genre (fiction, non-fiction, mystery, etc). We will meet at 2:00 pm at the Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church.
- June 17th – Finding Chika by Mitch Albom
- July 15th – Word to the Wise by Jenn McKinley
- August 19th – They Saw the Elephant by JoAnn Levy