Cass County Public Library hosts book clubs at most locations. Below is a list of our book clubs, what they read, and what times they meet, organized by branch.
We do offer sessions of book clubs for children and teens at various branches. Please see our events calendar for details and availability.
The Wolfner Library offers call-in book clubs for those who are blind, visually impaired, have a reading disability, or have a physical disability that limits them from using standard print materials.
For more information, call 1-800-392-2614 or visit https://www.sos.mo.gov/wolfner/programming/bookclubs.
Come join us for good discussion on the first Thursday of every month at 1pm. This book club reads a variety of fiction and non-fiction books.
- December 1 – The White Christmas Inn by Colleen Wright
- January 5 – Deaths on Pleasant Street by Giles Fowler
- February 2 – Under the Bayou Moon by Fraser Valerie Luesse
Garden CityAdult Book Group:
This group meets on the last Wednesday of every month at 4 pm at the library, unless noted.
- November 30 – Hope Between the Pages by Pepper Basham
- December 28 – Seven Perfect Things by Catherine Ryan Hyde
- January 25 – Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton
- February 22 – All the Little Hopes by Leah Weiss
HarrisonvilleBrown Bag Book Club:
Bring your lunch and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available for checkout at the Harrisonville branch. The Brown Bag Book Club meets monthly on the second Thursday at noon. This club reads widely in both fiction and nonfiction genres. New members are welcome!
- December 8 – The Christmas Train by David Baldacci
- January 12 – The Other Wes Moore by Wes Moore
- February 9 – When Crickets Cry by Charles Martin
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville branch. The General Book Club meets on third Fridays at 3pm on Zoom. This club reads widely in both fiction and nonfiction genres. If you are interested in joining this group, please email email@example.com.
- November 18 – Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles
- December 16 – Landline by Rainbow Powell
- January 20 – This Place of Promise by Gary R Kremer
- February 17 – Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville branch. The Mystery Book Club meets monthly on the second Tuesday from 4pm – 5pm.
- December 13 – Twisted Tea Christmas by Laura Childs
- January 10 – The Night She Disappeared by Lisa Jewell
- February 14 – Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
The perfect club for the busy reader. Books are chosen by club members. Discussions held online on Facebook at 2pm on the dates below (typically third Fridays).
- November 18 – Evergreen Falls by Kimberly Freeman
- December 16 – Blizzard! by Jim Murphy
- January 20 – Holiday Grind by Cleo Coyle
- February 17 – Love by Roddy Doyle
Northern Resource CenterNo Events Murder Among Friends Book Club:
Murder Among Friends is a book club for adults, open to anyone who enjoys mysteries and good conversation.
- December 20 – 4:50 from Paddington by Agatha Christie
- January 17 – Snow by John Banville
- February 21 – Cemetery Road by Gar Anthony Haywood
- March 21 – A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters
A classics-focused book club that generally reads books more than 50 years old from all around the world.
- January 19 – Villette (part 1) by Charlotte Bronte
February 16 – Villette (part 2) by Charlotte Bronte
March 16 –The Citadel by A. J. Cronin
A general-interest book club that reads literary fiction and non-fiction. We meet in person the 3rd Thursday of each month at 11 am.
- December 15 – Five Families by Selwyn Raab
- January 19 – The Reckoning by John Grisham
- February 16 – The Spy Who Came in From the Cold by John LeCarre
This is a general-interest book club that reads popular fiction, and literary fiction with an occasional non-fiction title thrown in for fun. We meet in person the last Wednesday of each month at 3pm unless noted.
November 30 – The Gown by Jennifer Robson
- December 28 – Pick Your Own Book
- January 25 – The Last Days of Night by Graham Moore
- February 22 – The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes
Pleasant Hill3rd Thursday Book Club:
The 3rd Thursday Book Club reads books from a variety of genres including Non-Fiction, Fiction, Mystery, Fantasy, and Biography. The books are available for you to pick up from the branch at your convenience, then we meet the following 3rd Thursday at 2:00 pm to discuss it. Come join our group–we would love to meet you!
November 17 – Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
- December 15 – The Secret of Snow by Viola Shipman
- January 19 – The Book of Joy by The Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu
- February 16 – Library at the Edge of the World by Felicity Hays-McCoy
Feel free to call if you have any questions or come by and check out a book!1st Monday Evening Readers Book Group:
The 1st Monday Evening Readers meet at 5:30 pm the 1st Monday evening each month (unless it’s a holiday). We read books from a variety of genres including Non-Fiction, Fiction, Mystery, Fantasy, and Biography. The books are available for checkout at the branch at your convenience, then we meet the following 1st Monday to discuss it.
- December 5 – The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave
- January 9 – Winter Street by Elin Hilderbrand
- February 6 – Cold Dish by Craig Johnson
Come join our group–you might find some new friends, good books, and great authors!