Cass County Public Library hosts book clubs at most locations. Below is a list of our book clubs, what they read, and what times they meet, organized by branch.
The Wolfner Library offers call-in book clubs for those who are blind, visually impaired, have a reading disability, or have a physical disability that limits them from using standard print materials.
For more information, call 1-800-392-2614 or visit https://www.sos.mo.gov/wolfner/programming/bookclubs.
DrexelBook Club (Virtual):
Come join us for good discussion (currently virtually) on the first Monday of every month at 1pm. This book club reads a variety of fiction and non-fiction books.
If you do not have a device to run Zoom, contact the branch for call-in details: 816-928-1010.
- December 6 – This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger
- January 3 – The 13th Gift by Joanne Huist Smith
- February 7 – Once We Were Brothers by Ronald H. Balson
Garden CityAdult Book Group:
This group meets on the last Wednesday of every month at 4 pm at the library, unless noted.
- December 29 – The Christmas Box by Richard Paul Evans (at the Garden City United Methodist Church)
- January 26 – The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See
- February 23 – Texas Ranger by James Patterson
HarrisonvilleBrown Bag Book Club:
Bring your lunch and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available for checkout at the Harrisonville branch. The Brown Bag Book Club meets monthly on the second Monday at noon. This club reads widely in both fiction and nonfiction genres.
- January 10 – Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi
- February 14 – Women of the Copper County by Mary Doria Russell
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville branch. The General Book Club meets on the second Monday at 1pm. This club reads widely in both fiction and nonfiction genres.
- December 13 – Christmas Bells by Jennifer Chiviarini
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville branch. The Mystery Book Club meets monthly on the second Tuesday from 4pm – 5pm.
- January 11 – ZigZag Girl by Elly Griffiths
- February 8 – Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman
The perfect club for the busy reader. Books chosen by club members. Discussions held online on Facebook at 1pm on the dates below.
- December 17 – Snow Falling On Cedars by David Guterson
- January 21 – The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
- February 18 – Isaac’s Storm by Erik Larson
Northern Resource CenterConnecting Point Book Club:
An inspirational fiction book club open to anyone who enjoys reading and good conversation.
- December 9 – Christmas Joy Ride by Melody Carlson
- January 13 – Freedom’s Ring by Heidi Chiavaroli
- February 10 – The Escape by Lisa Harris
Murder Among Friends Book Club:
Murder Among Friends is a book club for adults, open to anyone who enjoys mysteries and good conversation.
- December 21 – A Fatal Grace by Louise Penney
- January 18 – The Ruin by Dervla McTiernan
- February 15 – American Spy by Lauren Wilkinson
A classics-focused book club that generally reads books more than 50 years old from all around the world.
- December – No book discussion, but we do meet for a Christmas gathering.
- January 20 – One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
- February 17 – The Fixer by Bernard Malamud
A general-interest book club that reads literary fiction and non-fiction. We meet in-person the 3rd Thursday of each month at 4 pm.
- December 16 – Lady Clementine by Marie Benedict (location TBD)
- January 20 – The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
- February 17 – Paper Money – Ken Follett
This is a general-interest book club that reads popular fiction, and literary fiction with an occasional non-fiction title thrown in for fun. We meet in-person the last Wednesday of each month at 1pm unless noted.
- December 29 – Pick your own book to read and join us for a Christmas party!
- January 26 – The Personal Librarian by Marie Benedict
- February 23 – The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah
Pleasant Hill1st Monday Evening Readers:
The 1st Monday Evening Readers meet at 5:30 pm the 1st Monday evening each month (unless it’s a holiday). We read books from a variety of genres including Non-Fiction, Fiction, Mystery, Fantasy, and Biography. The books are available for check out at the branch at your convenience, then we meet the following 1st Monday to discuss it. Most discussions will last approximately an hour.
- December 6 – Coming Home for Christmas by RaeAnne Thayne (At the Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church.)
- January 3 – One Second After by William Forstchen
- February 7 – The Lace Makers of Glenmara by Heather Doran Barbieri
The 3rd Thursday Book Club reads books from a variety of genres including Non-Fiction, Fiction, Mystery, Fantasy, and Biography. The books are available for you to pick up from the branch at your convenience, then we meet the following 3rd Thursday at 2:00 pm to discuss it. Come join our group–we would love to meet you!
- December 16 – Silver Bells by LuAnne Rice (@ Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church)
- January 20 – Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman
- February 17 – The Queen’s Governness by Karen Harper