Cass County Public Library hosts book clubs at most locations. Below is a list of our book clubs, what they read, and what times they meet, organized by branch.
The Wolfner Library offers call-in book clubs for those who are blind, visually impaired, have a reading disability, or have a physical disability that limits them from using standard print materials.
For more information, call 1-800-392-2614 or visit https://www.sos.mo.gov/wolfner/programming/bookclubs.
Do you have a favorite book you have been reading? Come share with others what you have been reading, and maybe find something new for yourself.
Come join us for good discussion on the first Thursday of every month at 1pm. This book club reads a variety of fiction and non-fiction books.
- June & July – Taking a summer break!
- August 4th – We will be discussing the books that we read over the summer and adding to our list of favorite book recommendations.
Garden CityAdult Book Group:
This group meets on the last Wednesday of every month at 4 pm at the library, unless noted.
- June 29 – The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides
- July 27 – The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Richardson
- August 31 – The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave
HarrisonvilleBrown Bag Book Club:
Bring your lunch and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available for checkout at the Harrisonville branch. The Brown Bag Book Club meets monthly on the second Monday at noon. This club reads widely in both fiction and nonfiction genres.
- June 13 – Raven Black by Ann Cleeves
- July 11 – Pachinko by Min Jin Lee
- August 8 – Hail, Mary by Andy Wei
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville branch. The General Book Club meets on the second Monday at 2pm. This club reads widely in both fiction and nonfiction genres.
- June 13 – Remember by Lisa Genova
- July 11 – Power of the Dog by Thomas Savage
- August 8 – The Woman They Could Not Silence by Kate Moore
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville branch. The Mystery Book Club meets monthly on the second Tuesday from 4pm – 5pm.
- June 14 – Death in Focus by Anne Perry
- July 12 – Murder at Honeychurch Hall by Hannah Dennison
- August 9 – The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave
The perfect club for the busy reader. Books chosen by club members. Discussions held online on Facebook at 2pm on the dates below.
- June 17 – Maus by Art Spiegelman
- July 22 – The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
- August 19 – George by Alex Gino
Northern Resource CenterConnecting Point Book Club:
An inspirational fiction book club open to anyone who enjoys reading and good conversation.
June 9 – On Every Side by Karen Kingsbury
July 14 – Fair Play by Deeanne Gist
August 11 – Ribbon of Years by Robin Lee Hatcher
Murder Among Friends is a book club for adults, open to anyone who enjoys mysteries and good conversation.
- June 21 – The Keeper of Lost Causes by Jussi Adler-Olsen
- July 19 – The Searcher by Tana French
- August 16 – The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
- September 20 – The Case of the Missing Servant by Tarquin Hall
A classics-focused book club that generally reads books more than 50 years old from all around the world.
- June 16 – Madam, Will You Talk? by Mary Stewart
- July 21 – 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
- August 18 – Captains Courageous by Rudyard Kipling
A general-interest book club that reads literary fiction and non-fiction. We meet in-person the 3rd Thursday of each month at 4 pm.
- June 16 – Salem’s Lot by Stephen King
- July 21 – Deception Point by Dan Brown
- August 18 – Code Talker by Chester Nez
This is a general-interest book club that reads popular fiction, and literary fiction with an occasional non-fiction title thrown in for fun. We meet in-person the last Wednesday of each month at 3pm unless noted.
June 29 – My Antonia by Willa Cather
July 27 – The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles
August 31 – The Only Woman in the Room by Marie Benedict
Pleasant Hill3rd Thursday Book Club:
The 3rd Thursday Book Club reads books from a variety of genres including Non-Fiction, Fiction, Mystery, Fantasy, and Biography. The books are available for you to pick up from the branch at your convenience, then we meet the following 3rd Thursday at 2:00 pm to discuss it. Come join our group–we would love to meet you!
- June 16 – When the Heart Cries: Sisters of the Quilt by Cindy Woodsmall
- July 21 – Heartland: a Memoir of Working Hard and Being Broke in the Richest Country on Earth by Sarah Smarsh
- August 18 – The Paris Orphan by Natasha Lester
Feel free to call if you have any questions or come by and check out a book!1st Monday Evening Readers Book Group:
The 1st Monday Evening Readers meet at 5:30 pm the 1st Monday evening each month (unless it’s a holiday). We read books from a variety of genres including Non-Fiction, Fiction, Mystery, Fantasy, and Biography. The books are available for check out at the branch at your convenience, then we meet the following 1st Monday to discuss it.
- June 6th – The Bookshop in Berlin by Francoise Frenkel
- July 11th – Everything I Never Told You by Celest Ng
- August 1st – The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
Come join our group–you might find some new friends, good books, and great authors!