Cass County Public Library hosts book clubs at most locations. Below is a list of our book clubs, what they read, and what times they meet, organized by branch.
We do offer sessions of book clubs for children and teens at various branches. Please see our events calendar for details and availability.
The Wolfner Library offers call-in book clubs for those who are blind, visually impaired, have a reading disability, or have a physical disability that limits them from using standard print materials.
For more information, call 1-800-392-2614 or visit https://www.sos.mo.gov/wolfner/programming/bookclubs.
Come join us for good discussion on the first Thursday of every month at 1pm. This book club reads a variety of fiction and non-fiction books.
September 1: Books by D. L. Rogers (the author will be at the branch for a presentation on September 12)
October 6: The Last Town on Earth by Thomas Mullen
November 3: The Last Days of Night by Graham Moore
Garden CityAdult Book Group:
This group meets on the last Wednesday of every month at 4 pm at the library, unless noted.
- August 31 – The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave
- September 28 – The Kitchen Front by Jennifer Ryan
- October 26 – These Silent Woods by Kimi Cunningham Grant
- November 30 – Hope Between the Pages by Pepper Basham
HarrisonvilleBrown Bag Book Club:
Bring your lunch and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available for checkout at the Harrisonville branch. The Brown Bag Book Club meets monthly on the second Monday at noon. This club reads widely in both fiction and nonfiction genres.
September 12 – Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Won’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain
October 10 – Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
November 14 – Princess Bride by William Goldman
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville branch. The General Book Club meets on the second Monday at 2pm. This club reads widely in both fiction and nonfiction genres.
- September 12 – No Meeting
- October 10 – Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote
- November 14 – Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville branch. The Mystery Book Club meets monthly on the second Tuesday from 4pm – 5pm.
- September 13 – September Society by Charles Finch
- October 11 – Apples Never Fall by Liane Moriarty
- November 8 – Big Lies in a Small Town by Diane Chamberlain
The perfect club for the busy reader. Books chosen by club members. Discussions held online on Facebook at 2pm on the dates below.
- August 19 – George by Alex Gino
- September 19 – The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James
- October 14 – The Year of the Witching by Alexis Henderson
- November 18 – Evergreen Falls by Kimberly Freeman
Northern Resource CenterConnecting Point Book Club:
An inspirational fiction book club open to anyone who enjoys reading and good conversation.
- September 8 – Candle in the Darkness by Lynn Austin
- October 13 – Riverbend Gap by Denise Hunter
- November 10 – Under a Blackberry Moon by Serena B. Miller
Murder Among Friends is a book club for adults, open to anyone who enjoys mysteries and good conversation.
- August 16 – The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
- September 20 – The Case of the Missing Servant by Tarquin Hall
October 18 – Pretty Little Wife by Darby Kane
November 15 – Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson
A classics-focused book club that generally reads books more than 50 years old from all around the world.
- August 18 – Captains Courageous by Rudyard Kipling
September 15 – House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
October 20 – A Lantern in Her Hand by Bess Streeter Aldrich
November 17 – Cross Creek by Marjoire Kinnan Rawlings
A general-interest book club that reads literary fiction and non-fiction. We meet in-person the 3rd Thursday of each month at 4 pm.
- August 18 – Code Talker by Chester Nez
September 15 – Gray Mountain by John Grisham
October 20 – The Forgotten 500 by Gregory A. Freeman
November 17 – Accidental Presidents by Jared Cohen
This is a general-interest book club that reads popular fiction, and literary fiction with an occasional non-fiction title thrown in for fun. We meet in-person the last Wednesday of each month at 3pm unless noted.
August 31 – The Only Woman in the Room by Marie Benedict
September 27 – The Day the World Came to Town by Jim Defede
October 26 – Adam Bede by George Eliot
November 30 – The Gown by Jennifer Robson
A book club that reads both fiction and non-fiction books about or inspired by World War 2. Meets the second Wednesday of the month.
- October 12 –Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly
- November 9 –Schindler’s List by Thomas Keneally
- December 14 –The School that Escaped the Nazies by Deborah Cadbury
Pleasant HillNo Events 1st Monday Evening Readers Book Group:
The 1st Monday Evening Readers meet at 5:30 pm the 1st Monday evening each month (unless it’s a holiday). We read books from a variety of genres including Non-Fiction, Fiction, Mystery, Fantasy, and Biography. The books are available for check out at the branch at your convenience, then we meet the following 1st Monday to discuss it.
September 12th – Blessing Way by Toni Hillerman
October 3rd – Alice’s Tulips by Sandra Dallas
November 7th – When Life Gives You Pears by Jeannie Gaffigan
Come join our group–you might find some new friends, good books, and great authors!