Cass County Public Library hosts book clubs at most locations. Below is a list of our book clubs, what they read, and what times they meet, organized by branch.
The Wolfner Library offers call-in book clubs for those who are blind, visually impaired, have a reading disability, or have a physical disability that limits them from using standard print materials.
For more information, call 1-800-392-2614 or visit https://www.sos.mo.gov/wolfner/programming/bookclubs.
DrexelBook Club (Virtual):
Come join us for good discussion (currently virtually) on the first Monday of every month at 1pm. This book club reads a variety of fiction and non-fiction books.
If you do not have a device to run Zoom, contact the branch for call-in details: 816-728-1010.
- September 13 – Becoming Mrs. Lewis by Patti Callahan Henry
- October 4 – The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa Sea
- November 1 – Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie
Garden CityAdult Book Group:
This group meets, socially distanced, at Garden City United Methodist Church on the last Wednesday of every month at 4pm, unless noted.
- September 29 – The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris
- October 27 – The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah
- November 17 – Wonder by R.J. Palacio
HarrisonvilleNo Events No Events General Book Club (Virtual):
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville branch. The General Book Club meets virtually on the second Monday at 1pm. This club reads widely in both fiction and nonfiction genres.
If you do not have a device to run Zoom, contact the branch for call-in details: 816-884-3483.
- September 13 – Yosemite by JoAnn Levy
- October 11 – A Swim in a Pond in the Rain by George Saunders
- November 8 – Dog Stars by Peter Heller
The perfect club for the busy reader. Books chosen by club members. Discussions held online on Facebook at 1pm on the dates below.
- September 24 – The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn
- October 29 – The Alice Network Kate Quinn
- November 19 – The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris
Northern Resource CenterConnecting Point Book Club:
An inspirational fiction book club open to anyone who enjoys reading and good conversation. The group meets in-person on the second Thursday of the month at 1 pm at Belton Memorial Park. In the case of inclement weather, the meeting will be moved to Zoom.
- September 9 – The Lacemaker by Laura Frantz
- October 7 – Christy by Catherine Marshall
- November 11 – Edge of Belonging by Amanda Cox
Murder Among Friends is a book club for adults, open to anyone who enjoys mysteries and good conversation. The group meets in-person on the 3rd Tuesday of every month at 1 pm at Belton Memorial Park.
- September 21 – A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson
- October 19 – Face of a Stranger by Anne Perry
- November 16 – Redemption Road by John Hart
A classics-focused book club that generally reads books more than 50 years old from all around the world. The group meets in-person the 3rd Thursday of every month at 3 pm. The location is TBD.
- September 16 – Portrait of a Lady Part I by Henry James
- October 21 – Portrait of a Lady Part II by Henry James
- November 18 – My Antonia by Willa Cather
A general-interest book club that reads literary fiction and non-fiction. We meet in-person the 3rd Thursday of each month at 4 pm. The location is TBD.
- September 16 – The Postman Always Rings Twice by James Cain
- October 21 – The Last of the Mohicans by James Cooper
- November 18 – TBA
This is a general-interest book club that reads popular fiction, and literary fiction with an occasional non-fiction title thrown in for fun. We meet in-person the last Wednesday of each month at 1pm unless noted.
- September 29 – The Accidental President by A.J. Baime
- October 27 – All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot
- November 17 – The Round House by Louise Erdich
Pleasant Hill1st Monday Evening Readers:
This group is for adults who enjoy reading and discussing different aspects of literature. We read and discuss various genres and subject matter including fiction and non-fiction. Most discussions will last approximately an hour. We will meet at 5:30pm at the Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church.
- September 13 – Harry’s Trees by Jon Cohen
- October 4 – Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
- November 1 – She Lies in Wait by Gytha Lodge
This group is a variety of adults who enjoy reading and discussing books of various genre (fiction, non-fiction, mystery, etc). We will meet at 2:00 pm at the Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church.
- September 16 – The Glittering Hour by Iona Grey
- October 21 – The Marsh King’s Daughter by Karen Dionne
- November 18 – Code Girls by Liza Mundy