The Flag of the Missouri State Guard
The pre-war prominence of the state coat-of-arms on the flags of the Missouri militia was reflected in the flag adopted by the Confederate oriented Missouri State Guard shortly after that force began to form in early June of 1861. On 5 June 1861, Major-General Sterling Price, commander of the Missouri State Guard, directed that “Each regiment will adopt the State flag, made of blue merino, 6 by 5 feet, with the Missouri coat-of-arms in gold gilt on each side. Each mounted company will have a guidon, the flag of which will be of white merino, 3 by 2 1/2 feet, with the letters M.S.G. in gilt on each side.” No flags conforming to these orders are known to survive. Nevertheless, from the accounts of the engagements fought in Missouri in 1861, it is plainly evident that flags either conforming to this pattern or variations thereof, were in service with the Confederate forces.
Cass Countians fought with regular CSA units in such famous battles as Vicksburg, Helena, Pleasant Hill, Corinth and others across the south. Listen as local historian Jay Roberts traces the story of the men from the High Blue area of NW Cass County who enrolled Sept. 1861 as Co. F, 10th Cavalry, 8th Division under Gen Rains, Missouri State Guard.
Several Cass Countians rode with Quantrill as Bushwhackers. Perhaps the most famous was Cole Younger. For interviews about the Younger family’s experiences in Cass County, click play below.