Cass County Public Library hosts book clubs at most locations. Below is a list of our book clubs, what they read, and what times they meet, organized by branch.
The Wolfner Library offers call-in book clubs for those who are blind, visually impaired, have a reading disability, or have a physical disability that limits them from using standard print materials.
For more information, call 1-800-392-2614 or visit https://www.sos.mo.gov/wolfner/programming/bookclubs.
DrexelBeta Book Club:
Come join us for good discussion on the first Monday every month. This book club reads a variety of fiction and non-fiction books.
- March 4, 1pm – Radium Girls by Kate Moore
- April 1, 1pm – Rainwater by Sandra Brown
- May 6, 1pm – Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
Garden CityAdult Book Group:
This group meets on the last Wednesday of every month at 6pm, unless noted.
- March 27, 4:00pm – The Mountain Between Us, by Charles Martin
- April 24, 4:00pm – Still Life, by Louise Penny
- May 29, 4:00pm – Driving Miss Norma, by Tim Bauerschmidt
HarrisonvilleInspirational Book Club:
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville library. The Inspirational Book Club meets monthly on the first Thursday at 6:30pm. This club focuses on the inspirational fiction genre.
- March 7, 6:30pm – At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon
- April 4, 6:30pm – Over the Misty Mountains by Gilbert Morrie & Aaron McCarver
- May 2, 6:30pm – Danger in the Shadows by Dee Henderson
Bring your lunch and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available for checkout at the Harrisonville library. The Brown Bag Book Club meets monthly on the second Monday at noon. This club reads widely in both fiction and nonfiction genres.
- March 11, 12pm – Stars are Fire by Anita Shreve
- April 8, 12pm – The Sun Does Shine by Anthony Ray Hinton
- May 13, 12pm – Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fire by Gail Honeyman
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville library. The General Book Club meets monthly on the second Monday at 6:30 p.m. This club reads widely in both fiction and nonfiction genres.
- March 11, 6:30pm – Invisible Man by H.G. Wells
- April 8, 6:30pm – Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan
- May 13, 6:30pm – Selection of non-fiction about immigration in the US
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville branch. It’s a Mystery book club meets monthly on the second Tuesday at 6:30pm. This club focuses on the mystery genre.
- March 7, 6:30pm – Widows of Malabar Hill by Sujata Massey
- April 9, 6:30pm – Measby Murder Enquiry by Ann Purser
- May 14, 6:30pm – Body Snatchers Affair by Maria Muller
Come join us as we “tap” into a variety of different genres in this new adventurous book club geared toward millennials, but anyone is welcome. This book club meets monthly on the 3rd Thursday at 6:30pm.
- March 21, 6:30pm – The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See
- April 18, 6:30pm – The Humans by Matt Haig
- May 16, 6:30pm – A Long Way Home by Saroo Brierley
Northern Resource CenterConnecting Point Book Club:
An inspirational fiction book club open to anyone who enjoys reading and good conversation. The group meets on the second Thursday of the month.
- March 14, 1pm – In This Moment by Elizabeth Camden
- April 11, 1pm – The Sound of Rain by Sarah Loudin Thomas
- May 9, 1pm – The Gate of Heaven by Gilbert Morris
Murder Among Friends is a book club for adults, open to anyone who enjoys mysteries and good conversation. We meet the 3rd Tuesday of every month from 1:00 – 2:00pm.
- March 19, 1pm – Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov
- April 16, 1pm – They Came to Baghdad by Agatha Christie
- May 21, 1pm – Indemnity Only by Sara Paretsky
A classics book club for people who love the written word. “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” CS Lewis. We meet on the third Thursday of every month.
- March 21, 6:30 pm – Ramona by Helen Hunt Jackson
- April 18, 6:30 pm – Appointment in Samarra by John O’Hara
- May 16, 6:30 pm – Death Be Not Proud by John Gunter
A book club for gentlemen readers of all ages. We meet the 3rd Thursday of every month at 6:30pm.
- March 21, 6:30pm – Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
- April 18, 6:30pm – A Separate Peace by John Knowles
- May 16, 6:30pm – The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
Our Mother/Daughter book club is for girls ages 8-12 and their mom (or other special adult female). Come enjoy discussions of amazing novels while enjoying the friendship of other girls and their moms. We meet the 4th Thursday of every month at 6:30pm.
- March 28, 6:30pm – The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
- April 25, 6:30pm – Flora and Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo
- May 23, 6:30pm – Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
This is a general interest book club that reads popular fiction, and literary fiction with an occasional non-fiction title thrown in for fun. We meet the last Wednesday of each month.
- March 27, 6:30pm – A Time of Love and Tartan by Alexander McCall Smith
- April 24, 6:30pm – The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah
- May 29, 6:30pm – The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
Pleasant Hill1st Monday Evening Readers:
This group is for adults who enjoy reading and discussing different aspects of literature. We read and discuss various genres and subject matter including fiction and non-fiction. Most discussions will last approximately an hour. We meet on the first Mondays of each month at 5:30pm.
- March 4, 5:30pm – Uprooted by Naomi Novik
- April 1, 5:30pm – Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club by Gil McNeil
- May 6, 5:30pm – Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson
This group is a variety of adults who enjoy reading and discussing books of various genre (fiction, non-fiction, mystery, etc). At each gathering, we discuss the current book and then pass out the title for the next month. Come in and pick up a copy of our current book and join the discussion! We meet the 3rd Thursday each month at 2:15 in the afternoon.
- March 21, 2:15pm – The Supremes at Earl’s All-You-Can-Eat by Edward Kelsy Moore
- April 18, 2:15pm – A Very Private Woman by Nina Burleigh
- May 16, 2:15pm – News of the World by Paulette Giles