Cass County Public Library hosts book clubs at most locations. Below is a list of our book clubs, what they read, and what times they meet, organized by branch.
The Wolfner Library offers call-in book clubs for those who are blind, visually impaired, have a reading disability, or have a physical disability that limits them from using standard print materials.
For more information, call 1-800-392-2614 or visit https://www.sos.mo.gov/wolfner/programming/bookclubs.
Garden CityAdult Book Group:
This group meets on the last Wednesday of every month at 6pm, unless noted.
- May 30, 4:30pm – Murphy’s Law by Rhys Bowen
- June 27, 5:30pm – Life in a Jar by Jack Mayer
- July 25, 6pm – Map of the Heart by Susan Wiggs
- August 29, 4:30pm – Three Weeks with My Brother by Nicholas Sparks
HarrisonvilleInspirational Book Club:
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville library. The Inspirational Book Club meets monthly on the first Thursday at 6:30pm. This club focuses on the inspirational fiction genre.
- June 7, 6:30pm – The Pilgrim by T. Davis Bunn
- July 5, 6:30pm – The Way We Were by Judy Baer
- August 2, 6:30pm – Shadows of Lancaster County by Mindy Starns Clark
Bring your lunch and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available for checkout at the Harrisonville library. The Brown Bag Book Club meets monthly on the second Monday at noon. This club reads widely in both fiction and nonfiction genres.
- June 11, 12pm – Inside the O’Briens by Lisa Genova
- July 9, 12pm – Fool’s Assassin by Robin Hobb
- August 13, 12pm – Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville library. The General Book Club meets monthly on the second Monday at 6:30 p.m. This club reads widely in both fiction and nonfiction genres.
- June 11, 6:30pm – Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick
- July 9, 6:30pm – Books about Syria
- August 13, 6:30pm – Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville library. Meets monthly on the second Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. This club focuses on the mystery genre.
- June 12, 6:30pm – Home of the Braised by Julie Hyzy
- July 10, 6:30pm – By Its Cover by Donna Leon
- August 14, 6:30pm – A Cookbook Conspiracy by Kate Carlisle
Northern Resource CenterConnecting Point Book Club:
An inspirational fiction book club open to anyone who enjoys reading and good conversation. The group meets on the second Thursday of the month.
- June 14, 1pm – Deep Extraction by DiAnn Mills
- July 12, 1pm – A Note Yet Unsung by Tamera Alexander
- August 9, 1pm – Heart on the Line by Karen Witemeyer
Murder Among Friends is a book club for adults, open to anyone who enjoys mysteries and good conversation. We meet the 3rd Tuesday of every month from 1:00 – 2:30pm.
- June 19, 1pm – Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey
- July 17, 1pm – The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- August 21, 1pm – Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz
A classics book club for people who love the written word. “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” CS Lewis. We meet on the third Thursday of every month.
- May 17, 6:30pm – Cry the Beloved Country by Alan Paton
- June 21, 6:30pm – A Town like Alice by Nevil Shute
- July 19, 6:30pm – Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
- August 16, 6:30pm – White Fang by Jack London
A book club for gentlemen readers of all ages. We meet the 3rd Thursday of every month at 6:30pm.
- May 17, 6:30pm – Call of the Wild by Jack London
- June 21, 6:30pm – All the King’s Men by Robert Penn Warren
- July 19, 6:30pm – Men Without Women by Ernest Hemingway
- August 16, 6:30pm – Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Our Mother/Daughter book club is for girls ages 8-12 and their mom (or other special adult female). Come enjoy discussions of amazing novels while enjoying the friendship of other girls and their moms. We meet the 4th Thursday of every month at 6:30pm.
- May 24, 6:30pm – Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis
- June 28, 6:30pm – The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo
- July 26, 6:30pm – Heidi by Johanna Spyri
- August 23, 6:30pm – From the Mixed-Up Files of Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg
This is a general interest book club that reads popular fiction, and literary fiction with an occasional non-fiction title thrown in for fun. We meet the last Wednesday of each month.
- May 30, 6:30pm – Letters from Paris by Juliet Blackwell
- June 27, 6:30pm – The Orphan Keeper by Camron Wright
- July 25, 6:30pm – My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante
- August 29, 6:30pm – An Invisible Thread by Laura Schroff
Pleasant Hill1st Monday Evening Readers:
This group is for adults who enjoy reading and discussing different aspects of literature. We read and discuss various genres and subject matter including fiction and non-fiction. Most discussions will last approximately an hour. We meet on the first Mondays of each month at 5:30pm.
- June 4, 5:30pm – Book Clubbed by Lorna Barrett
- July 2, 5:30pm – Chillbury Ladies Choir by Jennifer Ryan Monday
- August 6, 5:30pm – Any Place I Hang My Hat by Susan Isaacs
This group is a variety of adults who enjoy reading and discussing books of various genre (fiction, non-fiction, mystery, etc). At each gathering, we discuss the current book and then pass out the title for the next month. Come in and pick up a copy of our current book and join the discussion! We meet the 3rd Thursday each month at 2:15 in the afternoon.