Cass County Public Library hosts book clubs at most locations. Below is a list of our book clubs, what they read, and what times they meet, organized by branch.
The Wolfner Library offers call-in book clubs for those who are blind, visually impaired, have a reading disability, or have a physical disability that limits them from using standard print materials.
For more information, call 1-800-392-2614 or visit https://www.sos.mo.gov/wolfner/programming/bookclubs.
DrexelBeta Book Club:
Come join us for good discussion on the first Monday of every month, except during the summer. This book club reads a variety of fiction and non-fiction books.
- September 9, 1pm – The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson
- October 7, 1pm – Past Perfect by Danielle Steel
- November 4, 1pm – The Woman in Black by Susan Hill
Garden CityAdult Book Group:
This group meets on the last Wednesday of every month at 4pm, unless noted.
- August 28, 4:00pm – The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club, by Gil McNeil
- September 25, 4:00pm – The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
- October 30, 4:00pm – Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner
- November 20, 4:00pm – The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty
HarrisonvilleInspirational Book Club:
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville library. The Inspirational Book Club meets monthly on the first Thursday at 6:30pm. This club focuses on the inspirational fiction genre.
- June 6, 6:30pm – Sister Circle by Vonette Bright and Nancy Moser
- July 11, 6:30pm – Stand by Me by Neta Jackson
- August 1, 6:30pm – Sacred Trust by Hannah Alexander
Bring your lunch and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available for checkout at the Harrisonville library. The Brown Bag Book Club meets monthly on the second Monday at noon. This club reads widely in both fiction and nonfiction genres.
- September 9 – Uncommon Type by Tom Hanks
- October 14 – Educated by Tara Westover
- November 11 –Hannah Coulter by Wendy Barry
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville library. The General Book Club meets monthly on the second Monday at 6:30 p.m. This club reads widely in both fiction and nonfiction genres.
- September 9 – Invisible Wall by Harry Bernstein
- October 14 – Thunderstruck by Erik Larson
- November 11 – Never Fall Down by Patricia McCormack
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville branch. It’s a Mystery book club meets monthly on the second Tuesday at 6:30pm. This club focuses on the mystery genre.
- September 10 – Murder at the Breakers by Alyssa Maxwell
- October 8 – Murder Room by P.D. James
- November 12 – Beautiful Mystery by Louise Penny
Northern Resource CenterConnecting Point Book Club:
An inspirational fiction book club open to anyone who enjoys reading and good conversation. The group meets on the second Thursday of the month.
- September 12 – More Than a Promise by Ruth Logan Herne
- October 10 – With This Pledge by Tamera Alexander
- November 14 – Justice Buried by Patricia Bradley
Murder Among Friends is a book club for adults, open to anyone who enjoys mysteries and good conversation. We meet the 3rd Tuesday of every month from 1:00 – 2:00pm.
- September 17, 1pm – Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters
- October 15, 1pm – The Black Echo by Michael Connelly
- November 19, 1pm – Déjà Dead by Kathy Reichs
A classics book club for people who love the written word. “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” CS Lewis. We meet on the third Thursday of every month.
- August 15, 6:30pm – War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells
- September 19, 6:30pm – Dr. Zhivago by Boris Pasternak – 1st half
- October 17, 6:30pm – Dr. Zhivago by Boris Pasternak – 2nd half
- November 21, 6:30pm – The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis
A book club for gentlemen readers of all ages. We meet the 3rd Thursday of every month at 4:30pm.
- September 19, 4:30pm – My Italian Bulldozer by Alexander McCall Smith
- October 17, 4:30pm – The Color Purple by Alice Walker
- November 21, 4:30pm – Paradise Lost by John Milton
This is a general interest book club that reads popular fiction, and literary fiction with an occasional non-fiction title thrown in for fun. We meet the last Wednesday of each month.
- August 28, 6:30pm – Peace Like a River by Leif Enger
- September 25, 6:30pm – The Moonflower Vine by Jetta Carleton
- October 30, 6:30pm – 11/22/1963 by Stephen King
- November 27, 6:30pm – The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown
Pleasant Hill1st Monday Evening Readers:
This group is for adults who enjoy reading and discussing different aspects of literature. We read and discuss various genres and subject matter including fiction and non-fiction. Most discussions will last approximately an hour. We meet on the first Mondays of each month at 5:30pm.
- September 9, 5:30pm – Escape by Carolynn Jessup
- October 7, 5:30pm – The Tale of Halcyon Crane by Wendy Webb
- November 4, 5:30pm – Whistlin Dixie in a Nor’Easter by Lisa Patton
This group is a variety of adults who enjoy reading and discussing books of various genre (fiction, non-fiction, mystery, etc). At each gathering, we discuss the current book and then pass out the title for the next month. Come in and pick up a copy of our current book and join the discussion! We meet the 3rd Thursday each month at 2:15 in the afternoon.
- August 15, 2:15pm – The Red Garden by Alice Hoffman
- September 19, 2:15pm – The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper by Phaedra Patrick
- October 17, 2:15pm – Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann
- November 21, 2:15pm – Sam’s Letters to Jennifer by James Patterson