Cass County Public Library hosts book clubs at most locations. Below is a list of our book clubs, what they read, and what times they meet, organized by branch.
The Wolfner Library offers call-in book clubs for those who are blind, visually impaired, have a reading disability, or have a physical disability that limits them from using standard print materials.
For more information, call 1-800-392-2614 or visit https://www.sos.mo.gov/wolfner/programming/bookclubs.
DrexelBeta Book Club:
Come join us for good discussion on the first Monday every month. This book club reads a variety of fiction and non-fiction books.
- December 5, 1pm
- January 7, 1pm
- February 4, 1pm
Garden CityAdult Book Group:
This group meets on the last Wednesday of every month at 6pm, unless noted.
- November 28, 4:00pm – Her Secret by Shelley Shepard Gray
- December 19, 4:00pm – The Christmas Angel Project by Melody Carlson
- January 30, 4:00pm – Summer Hours at the Robber’s Library by Sue Halpern
- February 27, 4:00pm – These Healing Hills by Ann Gabhart
HarrisonvilleInspirational Book Club:
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville library. The Inspirational Book Club meets monthly on the first Thursday at 6:30pm. This club focuses on the inspirational fiction genre.
- December 6, 6:30pm – Maggies Miracle by Karen Kingsbury
- January 3, 6:30pm – Lantern in Her Hand by Bess Strater Aldrich
- February 7, 6:30pm – Christy by Catherine Marshall
Bring your lunch and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available for checkout at the Harrisonville library. The Brown Bag Book Club meets monthly on the second Monday at noon. This club reads widely in both fiction and nonfiction genres.
- December 10, 12pm – Christmas Bells by Jennifer Chiaverini
- January 14, 12pm – Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth
- February 11, 12pm – Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville library. The General Book Club meets monthly on the second Monday at 6:30 p.m. This club reads widely in both fiction and nonfiction genres.
- December 10, 6:30pm – Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
- January 14, 6:30pm – The Sun Does Shine by Anthony Rae Hinton
- February 11, 6:30pm – Educated by Tara Westover
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville library. Meets monthly on the second Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. This club focuses on the mystery genre.
- December 11, 6:30pm – Christmas Message by Anne Perry
- January 8, 6:30pm – League of Frightened Men by Rex Stout
- February 12, 6:30pm – House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz
Come join us as we “tap” into a variety of different genres in this new adventurous book club geared toward millennials, but anyone is welcome. This book club meets monthly on the 3rd Thursday at 6:30 pm.
- December 20, 6:30pm – Landline by Rainbow Powell
- January 17, 6:30pm – City of Thieves by David Benioff
- February 21, 6:30pm – Eleaner Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
Northern Resource CenterConnecting Point Book Club:
An inspirational fiction book club open to anyone who enjoys reading and good conversation. The group meets on the second Thursday of the month.
- December 13, 1pm – The Bridge by Karen Kingsbury
- January 10, 1pm – The Rose of Winslow Street by Elizabeth Camden
- February 14, 1pm – Twilight at Blueberry Barrens by Colleen Coble
Murder Among Friends is a book club for adults, open to anyone who enjoys mysteries and good conversation. We meet the 3rd Tuesday of every month from 1:00 – 2:30pm.
- December 18, 1pm – Still Life by Louise Penny
- January 15, 1pm – Jade Dragon Mountain by Elsa Hart
- February 19, 1pm – Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen
A classics book club for people who love the written word. “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” CS Lewis. We meet on the third Thursday of every month.
- December TBA, – There will be no book discussion, but we will have a Christmas get together
- January 17, 3:00pm – A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle
- February 21, 3:00pm – The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
A book club for gentlemen readers of all ages. We meet the 3rd Thursday of every month at 6:30pm.
- December 20, 6:30pm – Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
- January 17, 6:30pm – The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
- February 21, 6:30pm – The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Our Mother/Daughter book club is for girls ages 8-12 and their mom (or other special adult female). Come enjoy discussions of amazing novels while enjoying the friendship of other girls and their moms. We meet the 4th Thursday of every month at 6:30pm.
- November 29, 6:30pm – The Island of Dr. Libis by Chris Grabenstein
- December – No book discussion in December. See you in the new year!
- January 24, 6:30pm – Mary Poppins by P. L. Travers
- February 28, 6:30pm – The View from Saturday by E. L. Konigsburg
This is a general interest book club that reads popular fiction, and literary fiction with an occasional non-fiction title thrown in for fun. We meet the last Wednesday of each month.
- December 19, 6:30pm – Pick your own book and a Christmas party
- January 30, 6:30pm – Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
- February 27, 6:30pm – Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann
Pleasant Hill1st Monday Evening Readers:
This group is for adults who enjoy reading and discussing different aspects of literature. We read and discuss various genres and subject matter including fiction and non-fiction. Most discussions will last approximately an hour. We meet on the first Mondays of each month at 5:30pm.
- December 3, 5:30pm – The Book that Matters Most by Ann Hood
- January 7, 5:30pm – Coming Soon
- February 4, 5:30pm – Coming Soon
This group is a variety of adults who enjoy reading and discussing books of various genre (fiction, non-fiction, mystery, etc). At each gathering, we discuss the current book and then pass out the title for the next month. Come in and pick up a copy of our current book and join the discussion! We meet the 3rd Thursday each month at 2:15 in the afternoon.
- December 20, 2:15pm – The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
- January 17, 2:15pm – Coming Soon
- February 21, 2:15pm – Coming Soon