Cass County Public Library hosts book clubs at most locations. Below is a list of our book clubs, what they read, and what times they meet, organized by branch.
The Wolfner Library offers call-in book clubs for those who are blind, visually impaired, have a reading disability, or have a physical disability that limits them from using standard print materials.
For more information, call 1-800-392-2614 or visit https://www.sos.mo.gov/wolfner/programming/bookclubs.
Garden CityAdult Book Group:
This group meets on the last Wednesday of every month at 6pm, unless noted.
- September 26, 4:00pm – Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah
- October 31, 4:00pm – I’ll Be Your Blue Sky by Marisa De los Santos
- November 28, 4:00pm – Her Secret by Shelley Shepard Gray
HarrisonvilleInspirational Book Club:
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville library. The Inspirational Book Club meets monthly on the first Thursday at 6:30pm. This club focuses on the inspirational fiction genre.
- September 6, 6:30pm – A Treasured Concealed by Tracy Peterson
- October 11, 6:30pm – The Church Ladies by Lisa Samson
- November 1, 6:30pm – Wild Montana Skies by Susan May Warren
Bring your lunch and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available for checkout at the Harrisonville library. The Brown Bag Book Club meets monthly on the second Monday at noon. This club reads widely in both fiction and nonfiction genres.
- September 10, 12pm – Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
- October 8, 12pm – Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom
- November 12, 12pm – All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville library. The General Book Club meets monthly on the second Monday at 6:30 p.m. This club reads widely in both fiction and nonfiction genres.
- September 10, 6:30pm – Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
- October 8, 6:30pm – Another Roadside Attraction by Tom Robbins
- November 12, 6:30pm – Collected Stories by William Faulkner
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville library. Meets monthly on the second Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. This club focuses on the mystery genre.
- September 11, 6:30pm – On Borrowed Time by Jenn McKinlay
- October 9, 6:30pm – The Scent of Rain & Lightning by Nancy Pickard
- November 13, 6:30pm – Knife Creek by Paul Doiron
Northern Resource CenterConnecting Point Book Club:
An inspirational fiction book club open to anyone who enjoys reading and good conversation. The group meets on the second Thursday of the month.
- September 13, 1pm – Sandpiper Cove by Irene Hannon
- October 11, 1pm – In Places Hidden by Tracie Peterson
- November 8, 1pm – These Healing Hills by Anna Gabhart
Murder Among Friends is a book club for adults, open to anyone who enjoys mysteries and good conversation. We meet the 3rd Tuesday of every month from 1:00 – 2:30pm.
- September 18, 1pm – Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie
- October 16, 1pm – In the Woods by Tana French
- November 20, 1pm – An Unsuitable Job for a Woman by P.D. James
A classics book club for people who love the written word. “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” CS Lewis. We meet on the third Thursday of every month.
- September 20, 6:30pm – Persuasion by Jane Austen
- October 18, 6:30pm – Lorna Doone by R.D. Blackmore part 1
- November 15, 6:30pm – Lorna Doone by R.D. Blackmore part 2
A book club for gentlemen readers of all ages. We meet the 3rd Thursday of every month at 6:30pm.
- September 20, 6:30pm – Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
- October 18, 6:30pm – Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
- November 15, 6:30pm – For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway
Our Mother/Daughter book club is for girls ages 8-12 and their mom (or other special adult female). Come enjoy discussions of amazing novels while enjoying the friendship of other girls and their moms. We meet the 4th Thursday of every month at 6:30pm.
- August 23, 6:30pm – From the Mixed-Up Files of Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg
- September 27, 6:30pm – The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn Keene
- October 26, 6:30pm – The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- November 29, 6:30pm – The Island of Dr. Libis by Chris Grabenstein
This is a general interest book club that reads popular fiction, and literary fiction with an occasional non-fiction title thrown in for fun. We meet the last Wednesday of each month.
- August 29, 6:30pm – An Invisible Thread by Laura Schroff
- September 26, 6:30pm – A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
- October 31, 6:30pm – Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark T. Sullivan
- November 28, 6:30pm – A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
Pleasant Hill1st Monday Evening Readers:
This group is for adults who enjoy reading and discussing different aspects of literature. We read and discuss various genres and subject matter including fiction and non-fiction. Most discussions will last approximately an hour. We meet on the first Mondays of each month at 5:30pm.
- September 10, 5:30pm – The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
- October 1, 5:30pm – Fancy Pants by Cathy Marie Hake
- November 5, 5:30pm – Coming Soon
This group is a variety of adults who enjoy reading and discussing books of various genre (fiction, non-fiction, mystery, etc). At each gathering, we discuss the current book and then pass out the title for the next month. Come in and pick up a copy of our current book and join the discussion! We meet the 3rd Thursday each month at 2:15 in the afternoon.
- September 20, 2:15pm – Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
- October 18, 2:15pm – The Lake House by Kate Morton
- November 15, 2:15pm – Circling the Sun by Paula McLain