Cass County Public Library hosts book clubs at most locations. Below is a list of our book clubs, what they read, and what times they meet, organized by branch.
The Wolfner Library offers call-in book clubs for those who are blind, visually impaired, have a reading disability, or have a physical disability that limits them from using standard print materials.
For more information, call 1-800-392-2614 or visit https://www.sos.mo.gov/wolfner/programming/bookclubs.
DrexelBeta Book Club:
Come join us for good discussion on the first Monday of every month, except during the summer. This book club reads a variety of fiction and non-fiction books.
- August 5, 1pm – The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware. Books will be available in July.
Garden CityAdult Book Group:
This group meets on the last Wednesday of every month at 4pm, unless noted.
- May 30, 4:00pm – Driving Miss Norma, by Tim Bauerschmidt
- June 26, 4:00pm – The Potluck Club, by Linda E. Sheperd
- July 31, 4:00pm – The Light Between Oceans, by M.L. Stedman
- August 28, 4:00pm – The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club, by Gil McNeil
HarrisonvilleInspirational Book Club:
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville library. The Inspirational Book Club meets monthly on the first Thursday at 6:30pm. This club focuses on the inspirational fiction genre.
- June 6, 6:30pm – Sister Circle by Vonette Bright and Nancy Moser
- July 11, 6:30pm – Stand by Me by Neta Jackson
- August 1, 6:30pm – Sacred Trust by Hannah Alexander
Bring your lunch and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available for checkout at the Harrisonville library. The Brown Bag Book Club meets monthly on the second Monday at noon. This club reads widely in both fiction and nonfiction genres.
- June 10, 12pm – Cater Street Hangman by Anne Perry
- July 8, 12pm – Never Fall Down by Patricia McCormick
- August 12, 12pm – Evergreen by Belva Plain
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville library. The General Book Club meets monthly on the second Monday at 6:30 p.m. This club reads widely in both fiction and nonfiction genres.
- June 10, 12pm – Selection of immigration in US titles
- July 8, 12pm – Moonflower Vine by Jetta Carlson
- August 12, 12pm – Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield
Come and enjoy a discussion of the book of the month. Books are available to check out at the Harrisonville branch. It’s a Mystery book club meets monthly on the second Tuesday at 6:30pm. This club focuses on the mystery genre.
- May 14, 6:30pm – Body Snatchers Affair by Maria Muller
- June 11, 6:30pm – Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks
- July 9, 6:30pm – Impartial Witness by Charles Todd
- August 13, 6:30pm – Force of Nature by Jane Harper
Northern Resource CenterConnecting Point Book Club:
An inspirational fiction book club open to anyone who enjoys reading and good conversation. The group meets on the second Thursday of the month.
- May 9, 1pm – The Gate of Heaven by Gilbert Morris
- June 13, 1pm – The Masterpiece by Francine Rivers
- July 11, 1pm – With Love, Wherever You Are by Dandi Daley Mackall
- August 8, 1pm – The Elusive Miss Ellison by Carolyn Miller
Murder Among Friends is a book club for adults, open to anyone who enjoys mysteries and good conversation. We meet the 3rd Tuesday of every month from 1:00 – 2:00pm.
- May 21, 1pm – Indemnity Only by Sara Paretsky
- June 18, 1pm – One of Us is Lying by Karen McManus
- July 16, 1pm – The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman
- August 20, 1pm – The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo
A classics book club for people who love the written word. “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” CS Lewis. We meet on the third Thursday of every month.
- May 16, 6:30 pm – Death Be Not Proud by John Gunter
- June 20, 6:30pm – Go Tell It on the Mountain by James Baldwin
- July 18, 6:30pm – I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
- August 15, 6:30pm – War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells
A book club for gentlemen readers of all ages. We meet the 3rd Thursday of every month at 6:30pm.
- May 16, 6:30pm – The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
- June 20, 6:30pm – Hunting Eichmann by Neil Bascomb
- July 18, 6:30pm – TBA
- August 15, 6:30pm – TBA
This is a general interest book club that reads popular fiction, and literary fiction with an occasional non-fiction title thrown in for fun. We meet the last Wednesday of each month.
- May 29, 6:30pm – The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
- June 26, 6:30pm – The Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien
- July 31, 6:30pm – The Invisible Wall by Harry Bernstein
- August 28, 6:30pm – Peace Like a River by Leif Enger
Pleasant Hill1st Monday Evening Readers:
This group is for adults who enjoy reading and discussing different aspects of literature. We read and discuss various genres and subject matter including fiction and non-fiction. Most discussions will last approximately an hour. We meet on the first Mondays of each month at 5:30pm.
- June 3, 5:30pm – Worthy Brown’s Daughter by Phillip Margolin
- July 1, 5:30pm – The Dream Daughter by Diane Chamberlain
- August 5, 5:30pm – Into the Storm by Suzanne Brockman
This group is a variety of adults who enjoy reading and discussing books of various genre (fiction, non-fiction, mystery, etc). At each gathering, we discuss the current book and then pass out the title for the next month. Come in and pick up a copy of our current book and join the discussion! We meet the 3rd Thursday each month at 2:15 in the afternoon.
- June 20, 2:15pm – The Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by JoAnn Fluke
- July 18, 2:15pm – King’s Mountain by Sharyn McCrumb
- August 15, 2:15pm – The Red Garden by Alice Hoffman