In April 1947, Cass County residents voted a one mill per dollar of valuation upon real and personal property to found a new library and the Cass County Public Library was born. The new library was headquartered in Hotel Harrisonville. An opening tea attended by over 500 Cass County residents was held December 13, 1947.
By the middle of the following year, branches had been established in Harrisonville, Pleasant Hill, Archie, Drexel, and Garden City. The first Cass County Public Library bookmobile started service in May of 1948 serving 55 rural schools and making 86 stops per month. Deposit libraries were opened in Peculiar, Raymore, East Lynne, Gunn City, Strasburg, Main City, Creighton, Cleveland, Pleasant Valley, Westline, and Freeman. An independently operated library in Belton did not merge with Cass County Public Library until 1968.
For more about the library’s history, click here.
Our mission is to provide informational, educational, and enrichment services and resources to the community through a comprehensive and efficient library system.